Saturday, January 01, 2005

Great Hamlet Dream

I had a dream last night -- it may have been a half-dream, as it was actually morning and I was nearly awake -- in which Hamlet had a twin sister, and they were shipwrecked. Weird bits of Twelfth Night conflated with Hamlet, Illyria superimposed upon Denmark, and some entanglement of Feste and the Grave-digger -- not Feste tossing up the skulls, which would be easy enough to envision, but something more elusive (or perhaps just forgotten).

I don't know whether this is a million-dollar idea sent down as a gift from the Great Unconscious, or a bit of codswallop washed up by the oil slicks of sleep. I think I have actually had this dream or half-dream before, and I remembered or recreated it. Obviously it resonates with something in my head, but not necessarily anyone else's.

5 Comments:

Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

That is a great dream. The last couple of nights have been very good for dreaming; maybe it's the end-of-year brain downloads or something.

Oil Slicks of Sleep sounds vaguely like a lesser-known Philip K. Dick novel.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Responsible Artist said...

I have yet to get anything publishable from my dreams.

Maybe the collective consciousness put in the recent Fox TV Who's Your Daddy show, and got out Hamlet's sister instead of the bio-dad.

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that dream. I have envy.

---L.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

fitflops sale
dolce and gabbana
cheap nba jerseys
ralph lauren outlet
oakley sunglasses
ralph lauren outlet online
pittsburgh steelers jersey
los angeles lakers jerseys
ugg outlet
nike outlet store

7:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0706
chrome hearts outlet
michael kors outlet
golden state warriors jerseys
polo ralph lauren
ralph lauren polo shirts
givenchy jewelry
thunder jerseys
oakley sunglasses
nike factory outlet
nike store

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home